Now that the weather is cooling off, our lives are settling down after a really busy season, and I’ve taken on zero commitments because our baby is due soon, I have tons of time to watch TV. (In fact, more time than I want). Here are my current favorites and what’s in my lineup next.
1. Game of Thrones – (I know, I know, not technically Netflix. This one is on HBO) This show was not my favorite at first. The gratuitous violence and sex seemed like a cheap way to keep viewers and I felt dumb because I couldn’t remember all the characters. But, I watched it. This past season, I began to notice the intricacies of the plot and finally made the connections that have been brewing for the past several years. So, of course, I got hooked. I’ve been re-watching it from the beginning and I’m enjoying it so much more this time. It’s still way too violent for my taste, but since I’ve seen it before, I can skip the ultra violent parts. And I can google parts of the show while I’m watching without worrying about missing something (like what the heck are the Seven Kingdoms anyway).
2. The Five – This is a series created by my favorite author, Harlan Coben. It’s a ten-episode crime drama and I’m really enjoying it. I think it’s one of those shows that is best watched binge-style, but Kenny and I are watching it together so we squeeze in an episode here and there. I think it detracts from the drama to have such long pauses between episodes, but we only watch TV together a few times a week in the evening and there are many days that one of us isn’t in the mood for something intense.
3. Gilmore Girls – This has always been one of my favorite shows. It’s almost always in our “recently watched” on Netflix because I will pop on an episode here and there when I want something fun and lighthearted in the background. If I put off laundry for a few days and have a giant mound to fold, for example, Gilmore Girls is usually playing on my computer next to the mound.
4. Friends – Kenny is a Friends addict. He owns every season on DVD, has seen every episode at least 15 times, and can never get enough. Lately, he’s been in the mood for light and funny humor (hence why it’s taking us so long to get through The Five). I really enjoy Friends, but I don’t like to watch it all the time because we have already seen every episode and Kenny jumps around to his favorites which totally kills the plot line. This Saturday, we had basically the whole day free, a rare occurrence around here. Kenny changed his pajamas into even comfier pajamas (I’m not kidding), and sat on the couch for the better part of the day binge watching Friends and laughing out loud.
5. Other Comedies – I get sick of Friends and Kenny isn’t too fond of Gilmore Girls so we also will throw on episodes of New Girl, Arrested Development, or the Office if we want a quick show before bed. I am always partial to the Office.
6. Harry Potter – Kenny wants to watch all the Harry Potters. I have the attention span of a four year old right now. Harry Potter movies are really long. So far, it isn’t going well. We often take two days to finish one movie and we often don’t have time to even start a movie, so this is going to take a while. I also annoy Kenny the whole time we watch because I’m constantly getting up to do other things. I think we will probably binge watch them after I give birth and Kenny is on paternity leave rather than watching half a movie every few days and never really getting into them.
That’s our current line-up! It’s not very thrilling, I have to say. I’m almost done with Game of Thrones, we have about 5 episodes left of The Five and everything else we’ve seen before so I’m desperate for some new suggestions!
Next up, I want to watch Wonder Woman, Suits, The Crown, and Brian Regan: Nunchucks and Flame Throwers.
What’s in your line-up? What should we watch next?